Dr. Christian Lemke
Bar Certified Specialist Lawyer for Industrial Property Law
Bar Certified Specialist Lawyer for Information Technology Law
Christian Lemke has been attorney since 1993 and a partner at Heissner & Struck since 1996. He has been Bar Certified Specialist Lawyer in Industrial Property Law since 2006 and Bar Certified Specialist Lawyer in Information Technology law since 2008. He practices in industrial property law, data protection law, IT law, copyright law and competition law.
Christian graduated from the University of Hamburg. Practical legal training (“Referendariat”) included positions with the German Federal Cartel Office, the Higher Regional Court of Hamburg (3rd Senate, responsible for IP law), a Los Angeles law firm and the German-American Chamber of Commerce in Chicago. 1993 Christian Lemke completed his doctorate under supervision of Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Ernst-Joachim Mestmäcker, Max-Planck-Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, Hamburg.
- Vice President, German Federal Bar (Bundesrechtsanwaltskammer)
- President of the Hamburg Bar (Hanseatische Rechtsanwaltskammer)
- Member of Stakeholders Advisory Board, EUIPO
- Vice Chair of the Future of the Legal Profession and Legal Services Committee
- International Trademark Association, Bulletin Committee, Co-Chair Law & Practice – Europe Subcommittee
- EU Committee, The German Federal Bar (Bundesrechtsanwaltskammer)
- IT Law Committees, Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe and The German Federal Bar
- 2006 to 2019: Chairman of the Committee for the Certification of IT Lawyers at the Hamburg Bar
- 2015 to 2017: Head of the German Delegation to the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE)
- 2014 to 2018: Advisory Board Member, European Lawyers Foundation, The Hague
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- DAV working groups on IT law and intellectual property and media
- German Association of Law and Informatics (DGRI)
- German Institution of Arbitration (DIS)
- „Verantwortlichkeit für Markenverletzung im Internet“ („Responsibility for Trademark Infringements in the Internet“), comment on the judgment of the European Court of Justice of March 3, 2016, Case C-179/15 – „Daimler AG/Együd Garage Gépjárműjavító és Értékesítő Kft“, IWRZ 4/2016, 168
- “Registering Advertising Slogans as Trademarks in the United States and Europe” (co-author, together with Rachel B. Rudensky, Ackerman Senterfitt), INTA Bulletin, April 15, 2016, Vol. 71, Nr. 7
- “How to Best Position your Position Mark in Europe”, INTA Bulletin, 01.03.2016, Vol. 71, Nr. 4
- “Fehlerhafte Beurteilung der Voraussetzungen einer Markenverletzung”, comment on the judgment of the European Court of Justice of July, 16, 2015, Case C-681/13 – “Diageo/Simiramida”, IWRZ 2015, 35 ff.
- “Counterfeits in Transit and Shipments to Non-Commercial Buyers in Europe: Current Proposals for Legislative Reform”, INTA Bulletin, April 1, 2015, Vol. 70, No. 7, p. 13 et. seq.
- “Trademarks, Registered Designs and Minimum Standards of Copyright Protection in Germany”, INTA Bulletin, July 1, 2014, Vol. 69, No. 12, p. 6 et. seq.
- “What’s in a Name? Comparing Rights and Recoveries for False Suggestion of a Connection in the United States and Germany” (co-author, together with Rachel B. Rudensky, Akerman Senterfitt, West Palm Beach, Florida, USA), INTA Bulletin, August 1, 2013, Vol. 68, No. 14, p. 5 et. seq.
- “Back to the Roots: Conflicts Between Trademarks and Company Names in Germany Before and After Céline”, INTA Bulletin, April 15, 2013, Vol. 68, Nr. 8, S. 10
- “Trademarks Versus Titles of Works: When Do Software ‘Titles’ Infringe Trademarks Under German and European Law?”, INTA Bulletin, Jan. 1, 2013, Vol. 68, No. 1, p. 1, 6 et seq.
- “Obtaining Preliminary Injunctions – Recent Developments in Germany”, INTA Bulletin, Sept. 1, 2012, Vol. 67, No. 15, p. 10
- “Beweissicherung” (“Preserving Evidence”) in: Leitfaden Online-Recht (“Guidelines Online-Law”), Hamburg@work e.V., 2009
- “Are branches of law offices to be designated as such?”, BRAK-Mitteilungen (Federal Bar Association Report) 2008, 146 – 150
- „Vertragsgestaltung bei IT-Projekten“ (“Negotiating and Drafting IT Contracts”) in: Handbuch IT-Recht (Handbook IT-Law), Hamburg@work e.V., 2006
- „Softwareüberlassung auf Dauer“ (“Software Licensing”) in: Handbuch IT-Recht (Handbook IT-Law), Hamburg@work e.V., 2006
- “Entertainment Law”, Co-Author, Kluwer Law International, 2001
- „Was haben Lizenzverträge mit Websites zu tun?“ (“What do license agreements have to do with websites?”) Co-Author, Hamburg@work e.V., 1999
- „Der fehlerhafte Aufsichtsratsbeschluss“ („The incorrect supervisory board resolution“), doctoral thesis, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft (issued by Ernst-Joachim Mestmäcker and Kurt Biedenkopf), 1994
- May 2019, EUIPO, Alicante/Spain, EUIPO Mediation Conference, Speaker on “The Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe´s (CCBE) view on judicial mediation”
- April 2019, Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Conference “Brave New World: Gewerblichkeit – die neue Freiheit?” – Speaker on the consequences of the BREXIT for the Legal Profession
- February 2019, Abidjan / Côte d’Ivoire, German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Conference on Rule of Law, Justice and Development – Speaker on AI and Legal Tech
- November 2018, Lille, CCBE Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Human Justice – Speaker on AI and Legal Tech
- April 2018, Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Conference “Fast Forward: Law Firms of the Future, the Future of Law Firms”, Speaker on sharing of fees between lawyers and non-lawyers
- January 2018, Athens, 5th International Conference of DiMEE, Artificial Intelligence and Law – Speaker on AI and Legal Tech
- „Innovation and Future of the Legal Profession in Europe“, co-author, Bruylant, 2017
- November 2016, Sao Paulo, DiaLAWgue – Speaker and Penalist on „Cross-Border Data Transfers“
- November 2016, Kuala Lumpur, LAWASIA IP and Technology Conference 2016 – Speaker and Penalist on „Cross-Border Data Transfers“
- October 2016, Paris, CCBE Conference Innovation and Future on the Legal Profession – Speaker and Penalist on „The Future of Legal Services“